San Antonio Texting and Driving Accident Lawyer
According to Distraction.gov, “In 2010, 3092 people were killed in car crashes involving a distracted driver and an estimated additional 416,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver.” Unfortunately, in Texas, there is not an outright ban on texting and driving. An attempt to ban texting and driving in Texas in 2011 was vetoed by Governor Perry. Currently, more than twenty-six (26) cities, including San Antonio, Texas, have bans on texting and driving. However, Texas has a very limited statewide ban. If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one due to distracted driving, call our San Antonio texting and driving accident lawyer today.
In Texas, texting and driving is only banned for:
- Bus drivers when a passenger 17 and younger is present;
- Drivers in school crossing zones; and
- Drivers younger than 18.
In light of the statistics regarding distracted driving accidents, Texas has failed to pass meaningful highway safety laws to protect everyone on the roadways. The dangers of distracted driving are well-known and published. A report by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration entitled, “Driver Distraction in Commercial Motor Vehicles” unveiled the following alarming statistics:
- Text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times worse than driving while not distracted;
- Sending or receiving a text takes a driver’s eyes from the road for an average of 4.6 seconds, the equivalent-at 55 mph-of driving the length of an entire football field, blind; and
- Headset cell phone use is not substantially safer than hand-held use.
The San Antonio Car Accident Lawyers at Hill Law Firm have years of experience in representing clients injured or whom lost loved ones as a resulted of distracted driving. Our San Antonio, Texas texting while driving attorneys understand the importance of requesting cell phone records of defendant drivers early in litigation to ensure that the data can be received and analyzed prior to trial. If you have been injured or lost a loved one as a result of a distracted driving accident, call the lawyers at Hill Law Firm today.