San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you were recently injured in a pedestrian-vehicle collision in San Antonio, Texas, you may be eligible for financial compensation. A successful claim can give you what you need to pay your bills and move forward after a life-changing accident. Working with an experienced and compassionate San Antonio pedestrian accident attorney from Hill Law Firm can enable you to understand and defend your legal rights throughout the claims process. Find out how we can help you today during a free case review.
Why Choose Us?
- Attorney Justin Hill has recovered millions of dollars for his personal injury clients.
- We can take on even the most difficult pedestrian accident cases.
- Our lawyers are ready to go to trial on your behalf, if necessary.
- We will provide personalized customer care and tailored legal services.
- Our law firm operates on a contingency fee basis, with no fees charged unless we win.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Texas
Despite having a responsibility to drive with reasonable care and prevent accidents, drivers in Texas make careless and reckless mistakes that cause thousands of collisions every year. Pedestrians are the most vulnerable road users, meaning they are most at risk of suffering serious and fatal injuries. According to the Texas Department of Transportation, in 2020, 717 pedestrians died in traffic accidents. This was almost an 8.5 percent increase from 2019.
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in San Antonio and throughout Texas include:
- Driver distraction and inattention
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Drowsy driving
- Speeding in school zones
- Illegal or unsafe passing
- Reckless driving
- Failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Backing out of a driveway or parking spot
- Other violated traffic laws
It is necessary to determine the cause of your pedestrian accident before you begin the claims process. This is because Texas is a fault-based insurance state, where the person or party guilty of causing the pedestrian accident will be financially responsible for related injuries and losses. A San Antonio injury attorney from Hill Law Firm can provide an in-depth investigation of your pedestrian accident to determine fault.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
When a motor vehicle strikes a pedestrian, the pedestrian’s injuries can be severe or life-threatening. Pedestrians can suffer injuries to any part of the body from the initial impact with the vehicle or the second impact with the road. Some of the most common injuries associated with pedestrian accidents in Texas are:
- Broken bones
- Head and brain injuries
- Chest injuries and rib fractures
- Internal injuries
- Lacerations and scarring
- Road rash
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Permanent paralysis
- Wrongful death
Catastrophic injuries from pedestrian collisions can require thousands of dollars in medical care, with ongoing costs such as physical therapy and rehabilitation. Even a minor pedestrian accident injury can cause financial strain for the victim, especially if he or she cannot immediately return to work.
What Types of Compensation Are Available After a Pedestrian Accident?
A lawsuit can help you and your family pay for the costs associated with your accident and recovery, protecting you from having to pay for your injuries out of pocket. A successful personal injury claim for a pedestrian collision in San Antonio can result in compensation for the following losses:
- Past and future medical costs
- Disability accommodations
- Lost wages
- Lost capacity to earn due to a disability
- Property losses
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost quality of life
- Punitive damages
You may be eligible to recover both economic and non-economic damages for your pedestrian collision. An attorney from Hill Law Firm can help you negotiate with a car insurance company to pursue maximum financial recovery.
Who Is at Fault?
In most pedestrian accident cases in Texas, the motor vehicle driver is liable for the pedestrian’s injuries. This is the case if the driver broke a traffic law or otherwise behaved negligently, and this caused the collision. If the driver was working for someone at the time of the collision, the employer could be liable instead. If something other than driver error caused the crash, such as a poorly designed intersection or vehicle defect, a third party may be responsible. It is often necessary to hire an attorney for a comprehensive crash investigation to determine liability.
Steps to Take After a Pedestrian Accident
It is important to take the right steps after a pedestrian accident in San Antonio. If possible, take the following actions if you get injured in this type of collision:
- Try to remain calm and check yourself for injuries.
- Get to a safe location, out of the road.
- Do not admit fault.
- Call the police to report the accident immediately.
- Exchange contact information with the motor vehicle driver.
- Talk to eyewitnesses and get their phone numbers.
- Take photographs of the scene of the accident.
- Go to a hospital in San Antonio without delay.
- Call the driver’s insurance company to file a claim.
- Consult with a pedestrian accident lawyer before accepting a settlement.
An attorney from Hill Law Firm can help you with all of these steps, and more. We will not charge for our services unless we succeed in securing financial compensation for your losses.
How Much Is My San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
It is important to understand the value of your case before accepting a settlement, as you generally cannot reopen a closed case. There is no such thing as an average pedestrian accident settlement. Every case in San Antonio is unique. The value of your case can be determined by an attorney only after analyzing your losses, including the severity of your injuries, how long it will take you to recover and the full value of your necessary medical care. An attorney can help you negotiate for the best possible financial outcome.
Contact a San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Today
If you or someone you love was struck by a car as a pedestrian in San Antonio, Texas, please don’t hesitate to contact Hill Law Firm to schedule a free legal consultation. Serious injuries deserve serious personal injury lawyers. We have the experience, skill, knowledge and dedication to build the strongest possible claim to damages on your behalf. We can go up against a negligent motor vehicle driver or another party in pursuit of the compensation that you deserve.
Learn more about your case during a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys. Contact us online or by calling (210) 960-3939 today.