Car accidents often result in significant medical bills and property damage expenses, which can be hard to recover when going up against aggressive insurance carriers. At Hill Law Firm, we are here to help if you need a New Braunfels car accident lawyer by your side. If your crash was caused by the negligence of another driver, our team will fully investigate the incident, determine liability, and help you recover total compensation for your losses.
New Braunfels Car Accident Resources
To quickly access the content on this page, please click the corresponding link below.
- Why Choose Hill Law Firm
- How Will an Attorney Help With a Car Accident Case?
- What to Do After a Car Accident?
- Setbacks Associated With Car Crashes
- Types of New Braunfels Car Accidents We Handle
- Compensation Available in a Car Accident Case
- How to Prove Driver Liability
- Partial Liability for a Car Accident Claim
- Can You Afford a Car Accident Attorney?
- Statute of Limitations for a Motor Vehicle Collision Case
- Contact a New Braunfels Car Accident Attorney
Choose Hill Law Firm for Your Car Accident Claim in New Braunfels
- At Hill Law Firm, we focus on providing a personal and individualized approach to every case, which means we will always be available to answer your questions and to address concerns.
- Our team has successfully recovered significant settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of our clients over the last 11 years. We will stand against insurance companies and at-fault parties to help you or a loved one receive fair compensation for medical expenses and other costs.
- Many of our clients come to us directly from referrals from our colleagues and our past clients. Each Texas car accident injury case is addressed with care and precision to fight for the best possible outcome.
How Will an Attorney Help a New Braunfels Car Accident Case?
Most people underestimate just how challenging car accident claims can be, particularly if the insurance carrier disputes fault or refuses to offer a fair settlement. However, an attorney can step in and gather all evidence needed to prove liability:
- Statements from eyewitnesses
- Video or photo surveillance from the incident
- Police or accident reports
- Mobile device data
- Vehicle “black box” devices
While conducting an investigation into the incident, an attorney will make sure that their client is evaluated by a trusted medical professional as well as economic experts who can help properly calculate total expected losses.
What to Do After a Car Accident in New Braunfels?
If you get involved in a car accident in New Braunfels, Texas, it is important to know what steps to take to prepare for the legal process ahead. While some insurance claims are simple, others are highly complex. You can benefit immensely from taking the correct actions in the aftermath of a car crash. These include:
- Calling the police. Remain at the scene of your car accident and don’t leave until you’ve exchanged information with the other driver and reported the crash to the police, if necessary. While you should report any car accident to law enforcement to obtain a police report, you are only legally obligated to report a crash in Texas if it results in injuries, deaths or at least $1,000 in property damage.
- Rendering aid. Check yourself and everyone else involved in the accident for injuries, including the other driver and any passengers. Make sure all vehicles are off of the road, if possible, and turn on all hazard lights. Call an ambulance if anyone is injured.
- Collecting information. Speak with the other driver to obtain his or her information, including the driver’s name, insurance information and a description of the vehicle. Get the information of anyone else involved in the crash and any eyewitnesses, as well.
- Taking photographs. Try not to leave the scene of your car accident until you’ve taken photographs and recorded video footage of the crash. Take photos of all relevant details, including property damage and the location of the accident as a whole.
- Visiting a hospital. You should always seek professional medical care immediately after a car accident. Even if you feel fine, your adrenaline may be covering up the symptoms of a serious injury. Obtaining professional medical care can help you make a full physical recovery and remain eligible for insurance coverage.
- Filing a claim. File a car insurance claim with your own car insurance company or the insurance carrier of the at-fault driver as soon as possible. To protect your rights, do not admit fault for the accident, give the claims adjuster a recorded statement or discuss your injuries in detail. It is also important not to rush into a fast settlement.
- Contacting a car accident lawyer in New Braunfels for guidance and assistance throughout the recovery process. An attorney can help you determine the value of your car accident claim and negotiate for the compensation that you deserve from a car insurance carrier.
Once you contact a car accident attorney, you can relax and focus on getting better while your attorney takes care of legal processes in Texas on your behalf. Your lawyer will create a legal strategy based on your unique needs and goals for optimal case results. Learn more about how a car accident lawyer in New Braunfels can assist you during a free consultation at Hill Law Firm.
Car Accidents in New Braunfels Can Lead to Major Setbacks
Accidents occur in a wide variety of ways throughout the New Braunfels area, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Some of the most common causes of crashes that we help clients with include other drivers:
- Operating too fast for conditions
- Operating while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Operating while distracted by a phone or another device
- Failing to stop at stop signs or traffic lights
Unfortunately, these collisions can lead to severe injuries. It is not uncommon to help clients who have sustained:
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries with paralysis
- Internal organ damage or internal bleeding
- Significant scarring or disfigurement
Our New Braunfels personal injury team also helps individuals who have sustained significant emotional and psychological trauma resulting from these incidents, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). We want to ensure that our clients recover compensation for every loss, including the visible traumatic injuries as well as these unseen emotional and psychological injuries.
Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle in New Braunfels
It is important to find a car accident lawyer with experience handling your type of case for the best chances of success. Car accident cases can be tricky to negotiate, as each type of case comes with unique laws and considerations. The attorneys at Hill Law Firm have been representing car accident victims throughout Texas for several years. We have experience handling many different types of car accident cases, including:
- Single-vehicle car accidents
- Multi-car accidents
- Commercial truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Intersection accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Distracted driving/texting and driving accidents
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- T-bone collisions
- Rollover accidents
- Fatal car accidents
We represent clients who have been involved in all of these types of crashes and more in New Braunfels. To find out if we can accept your specific case, request a free case evaluation with one of our lawyers. We will listen to your story and let you know how we can help. If we cannot accept your case for any reason, we will direct you to someone else who can help, instead.
Types of Compensation Available for a Car Accident Case
There may be a variety of types of compensation available in the aftermath of a New Braunfels car accident claim. In general, our team works diligently to recover “special” and “general” damages on behalf of clients.
Special damages are also referred to as economic losses, and this revolves around the types of losses that are relatively calculable in the immediate aftermath of a crash. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical bills associated with the incident
- Lost income if a victim cannot work
- Property damage expenses
- Any out-of-pocket expenses caused by the incident
General damages are also referred to as non-economic losses, but this type of compensation will be paid out for more immeasurable losses a person is likely to sustain as a result of a car accident. This includes, but is not limited to, a victim’s:
- Physical pain and suffering damages
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium for a spouse or other family members
The total compensation paid in these situations will depend on a variety of factors, including insurance limitations, the severity of the injuries, whether or not a victim can return to work, and the level of a person’s pain and suffering. Our team works with trusted financial experts who can help calculate total losses to present to insurance carriers.
How to Prove Driver Liability
Texas is a fault-based car insurance state. This means that liability – or financial responsibility – for a wreck goes to the driver or party at fault for causing the car accident. If you cannot identify who this party is, a lawyer can help. Before you can recover financial compensation through Texas’s fault system, you or your lawyer must prove that the other driver is liable. This requires clear and convincing evidence of fault, such as:
- A copy of the accident report
- Photographic evidence
- Surveillance or traffic camera footage
- Eyewitness statements
- Cell phone records
- Crash reconstruction
- Expert witness testimony
- Medical records (proof of losses)
The burden of proof when establishing a driver’s liability for an auto accident in Texas is a preponderance of the evidence. This means that by using evidence, you must demonstrate that the driver or another defendant is more likely to be at fault for your crash than not at fault. You or your personal injury attorney must prove with at least a 51 percent certainty that the car accident would not have happened were it not for the other driver’s actions or failure to act.
What About Partial Liability for a Car Accident Claim?
Even if an individual is partially responsible for causing a crash in New Braunfels, they may still be able to recover compensation. Texas operates under a “modified comparative fault” system. This means that individuals can recover compensation so long as they are not 51 percent or more responsible for the accident.
However, individuals who are partially at fault for a crash will receive reduced payments based on their percentage of fault. For example, if an individual sustains $10,000 worth of injuries and property damage, but they were found to be 30 percent at fault for the incident, they would receive $7,000 in total compensation to account for their percentage of fault.
Can You Afford a Car Accident Lawyer in New Braunfels
The team at Hill Law Firm takes these cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that clients will not have to worry about paying any legal fees until after we successfully recover the compensation they are entitled to. There will be no upfront or out-of-pocket costs while the case is ongoing, and if our car accident lawyers do not win the case, our clients do not pay.
Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Cases in Texas
Your right to seek financial compensation from a driver or another defendant for a car crash in New Braunfels is limited by a law known as the statute of limitations in Texas. This law gives you a specific amount of time to initiate your legal action. The statute of limitations is strict, meaning that unless you meet the deadline that applies to your case, you most likely will be unable to recover financial compensation.
The standard statute of limitations for car accident cases in Texas is two years. While the clock will generally start ticking on the date of the car accident itself, you may have two years from the date that you discovered your injuries if there was a delayed discovery. Other exceptions to the rule can also extend or shorten your time limit to file a car accident claim in Texas. For this reason, it is critical to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in New Braunfels, Texas as soon as you can after your crash.
Contact a New Braunfels Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or somebody you care about has been injured or sustained property damage in a car accident caused by another driver in the New Braunfels, Texas area, reach out to the team at Hill Law Firm for help immediately. Our attorneys have the resources necessary to handle every aspect of this claim on your behalf. We will handle all negotiations with insurance carriers, and we have no problem taking your case to trial if necessary. When you need a New Braunfels or San Antonio car accident attorney, you can contact us by clicking here for a free consultation or calling us at (210) 960-3939.