Sustaining a personal injury is more than just an inconvenience. Anytime a person is injured due to the careless or negligent actions of other individuals or entities, recovering compensation can be challenging. At Hill Law Firm, our New Braunfels personal injury attorneys are ready to stand by your side. We have a track record of success securing significant settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of injured clients throughout Texas, and we have no problem taking claims all the way to trial if necessary.
Why Choose Hill Law Firm for Your Personal Injury Claim in New Braunfels?
- At Hill Law Firm, we understand the importance of knowing who is working on your case, and you will never be put off onto a paralegal or legal assistant.
- Justin Hill has dedicated himself to handling complex personal injury claims throughout the state of Texas.
- Our personal injury law firm has recovered millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of our clients through settlements and through jury verdicts.
How Will an Attorney Help a New Braunfels Personal Injury Case?
A skilled attorney will handle your personal injury claim from the ground up. This means conducting a complete investigation into the incident in order to gather the evidence needed to prove liability. While an investigation is ongoing, an attorney will:
- Make sure their client is evaluated by doctors and trusted economic experts
- Engage in constant communication and negotiation with insurance carriers and other parties involved
- Fully prepare to take the case to trial to ensure that their client is treated fairly at all times
Common Types of Injury Cases We Handle at Hill Law Firm
The attorneys at Hill Law Firm have experience handling complex injury claims throughout Texas. We can go up against any defendant, big or small, on your behalf. This includes automobile insurance companies, large corporations, government agencies and product manufacturers. We have the resources and capabilities to take on many different types of accident claims in New Braunfels, as well. This includes every type of vehicle accident, such as accidents involving passenger vehicle cars as well as:
- Car Accidents: Every year, Texas leads the nation as one of the states with the highest number of automobile accidents. Thousands of victims are injured and killed in these collisions. We can help you with a case involving a distracted driver, drunk driver, drowsy driver, teen driver, hit-and-run driver, and many other factors.
- Commercial truck accidents: The trucking industry has special federal laws and legal requirements, such as driver hours-of-service regulations. If a trucking company breaks any of these rules, it can be held accountable for a related truck accident. Our lawyers know how to navigate these rules and other complications connected to truck accident cases.
- Bus accidents: Buses are dangerous vehicles that must be operated with the utmost care by a driver with the correct type of license and training. If you get injured in an accident involving a public or city bus, school bus, charter bus, or private bus, we can help you hold the bus company or government liable for your injuries.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycle accidents can cause devastating injuries, such as skull fractures and traumatic brain injuries. Our attorneys can help you demand fair financial compensation for your motorcycle accident from a negligent or reckless driver or another party, such as a motorcycle manufacturer.
- Pedestrian and bicycle accidents: Accidents involving the road’s most vulnerable users – bicyclists and pedestrians – can result in catastrophic injuries and deaths. Our lawyers can help you go up against a driver or another party in pursuit of suitable compensation for these serious types of accidents.
In addition to these motor vehicle accident claims, our team also handles other injury claims arising due to the negligence of others. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Defective product claims: Manufacturing companies can be held responsible for the products that they release that contain dangerous defects, such as manufacturing errors and marketing mistakes. We can help you file a product liability claim against a manufacturing company or distributor, including a mass tort claim or class action lawsuit.
- Medical malpractice: A medical malpractice lawsuit seeks financial compensation for a medical professional’s breach of the standard of patient care. Common examples include misdiagnoses, medication mistakes, surgical errors and birth injuries. We can go up against any doctor or hospital in New Braunfels on your behalf.
- Premises liability incidents: A premises liability claim seeks damages from a property owner for injuries sustained due to a property defect. Examples include swimming pool accidents, dog bite injuries and negligent security. If another property owner would have maintained a safe premises and prevented your injuries, you can file a claim.
- Slip and fall accidents: A slip and fall is a type of premises liability lawsuit. This type of case can be difficult to win, especially if you are seeking damages for a soft-tissue injury that doesn’t appear on x-rays. Our lawyers can help you prove your slip and fall accident case using strategic legal techniques.
- Boating accidents: Boating accidents take place in Texas every year due to careless boat operators and owners. Our personal injury lawyers have years of experience representing boat accident victims against individuals, tour companies, boat manufacturers, employers for offshore maritime accidents and other parties.
- Sexual assault claims: If you or a loved one has been sexually assaulted or abused, you have the right to file a personal injury claim against the perpetrator and anyone who shared responsibility for the crime, such as a school or church that ignored complaints of sexual abuse.
- Nursing home abuse cases: Nursing home abuse can give the victim or victim’s family the right to file a personal injury lawsuit against a facility for physical injuries, bedsores, psychological harm or wrongful death due to the physical, emotional or sexual abuse of a nursing home resident.
This is not an all-inclusive list of the types of cases that we handle at Hill Law Firm, and we would be honored to sit down and discuss your case with you so we can determine the best steps moving forward. Our compassionate team also provides assistance to those who have lost a loved one as a result of the negligent or intentional actions of others. We have experience handling wrongful death claims throughout this state and are ready to help you gain closure and compensation for your loss.
What Types of Compensation Are Available for a Personal Injury Case?
There may be various types of compensation available to individuals who sustain injuries caused by others. Our team works diligently to recover both economic and non-economic losses on behalf of our clients. Economic damages are the financial losses that result from a defendant’s negligence. They are also referred to as specific or tangible damages. They include calculable expenses such as:
- Medical bills
- The cost of future medical care
- Lost income
- Various out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage expenses
- Travel and transportation costs
- Attorney’s fees and court costs
- Household expenses
- Funeral & burial costs in a wrongful death claim
A personal injury settlement or judgment award may also include non-economic damages, or the immeasurable expenses that may not come with direct bills or receipts that can be added up. We often refer to these as general or intangible damages. They may include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Psychological damage
- Mental anguish
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Anxiety or depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium for a spouse.
Economic and noneconomic damages are compensatory damages, which are meant to compensate a victim for his or her losses and make the victim whole again. Another category of damages that may be available during a personal injury lawsuit is punitive damages. The purpose of this type of award is to punish a defendant and warn him or her against similar acts of negligence in the future. Punitive damages are generally only available when a defendant is guilty of gross negligence, wanton behaviors or malicious acts of wrongdoing.
There is no set amount of compensation paid out to personal injury victims in New Braunfels. Instead, there are various factors in place that can alter how much compensation a person receives. Some of these factors include the severity of the injuries, insurance limitations of the at-fault party, partial liability, property damage expenses, the level of a person’s pain and suffering, and more. A skilled personal injury lawyer will work with trusted medical and economic experts to properly calculate total expected losses to present to an insurance carrier or a personal injury jury.
What About Partial Fault for a Personal Injury Claim?
One of the most common tactics used by at-fault parties and insurance carriers is to try to place some or all of the blame for the incident on the injury victim. However, Texas operates under a “modified comparative negligence” system. This means that individuals can still recover compensation even if they are partially at fault for the incident, so long as they are not 51 percent or more responsible for causing their own injuries.
When a person is found to be 50 percent or less responsible for causing an incident, they will receive reduced compensation for their losses based on their percentage of fault. For example, if an individual sustained $100,000 as a result of a vehicle rollover accident, but was found to be 40 percent at fault by a jury, then they would receive $60,000 instead of the full $100,000.
Comal County Civil Court Information
Filing a personal injury lawsuit in New Braunfels means going to the correct courthouse in Comal County to file the paperwork and pay the fee to initiate your case. You will file your civil claim with the Comal County Clerk’s Office, in most cases. Here is its basic information:
- Main office: 150 North Seguin, Suite 1037, New Braunfels, Texas 78130
- Phone number: (830) 221-1230
- Fax number: (830) 620-3410
- Questions or requests for assistance: Comal County Online Portal
Office hours at the main location are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. As of 2015, the Comal County Civil Department no longer accepts paper personal injury filings. Instead, you must submit your claim electronically through the e-filing process.
What Is the Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Claim in New Braunfels?
You have a deadline on the right to file a personal injury claim in Texas. According to Texas’s statute of limitations, you have a maximum of two years from the date of your accident or the date that you discover your injury to file. If you miss this deadline, your case will most likely be unsuccessful. The courts do not often grant exceptions to the rule.
There are some scenarios, however, where you may have more time to file, such as a case involving an injured minor or delayed injury discovery. Conversely, you may have less time than two years to file if you are bringing a claim against the government. Each municipality in Texas has the right to choose its own filing deadline. The shortest deadline in the state is 45 days.
Paying for a Personal Injury Lawyer
The attorneys at Hill Law Firm handle New Braunfels personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients do not have to worry about paying any upfront or out-of-pocket costs related to their case. We have a track record of success recovering significant compensation on behalf of our clients, and we do not collect any legal fees until we recover the money that they need. If we do not win the case, you do not pay any legal fees.
Contact a New Braunfels Personal Injury Attorney Today
If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the negligent or intentional actions of another individual or entity in New Braunfels, Central Texas, turn to the team at Hill Law Firm for help immediately. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling complex injury claims, and we know what it takes to stand up to difficult insurance carriers and at-fault parties. We will not rest until you recover the maximum compensation for your losses. When you need the aggressive representation of a New Braunfels personal injury attorney, you can contact us by clicking here for a free consultation or calling us at (210) 960-3939.