San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer
You have rights after a personal injury accident. In Texas, the civil courts allow injured parties to come forward with claims against negligent or reckless parties. A successful personal injury claim could end in the financial compensation you need to move forward after an accident. Someone may owe you compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, property damages and more. Contact the San Antonio personal injury attorneys at Hill Law Firm to discuss your case and legal options in more detail. We offer 100% free consultations in Bexar County.
Why Choose Us?
- The people of San Antonio, Texas have trusted us with their personal injury claims for years. Most of the clients we accept are referrals from past clients and colleagues. We keep your best interests at heart.
- The lawyers at our firm are not afraid to challenge defendants in court, when necessary. Even with difficult cases, we have had a long track record of success.
- The clients we accept do not have to pay upfront for our legal services. We operate on a contingency fee basis on San Antonio personal injury claims, with no fees until we win.
San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer Resources
- Do I Need a San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney?
- Personal Injury Cases We Handle
- How a San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You
- What Is Negligence?
- Is There a Time Limit to File an Injury Claim in Texas?
- Types of Damages You Can Recover in a San Antonio Personal Injury Claim
- Dealing with San Antonio Insurance Companies
- When To Expect Your Settlement Check
- What to Do After Being Injured in an Accident in Texas
- Contact a San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Do I Need a San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney?
It is important to hire a personal injury lawyer in San Antonio if you have serious or catastrophic injuries. In this case, you may deserve much greater financial compensation than is offered in an initial settlement from an insurance company. A fair and full compensatory award can allow you to pay for ongoing needs, such as physical therapy and rehabilitation. If your case has any complications or challenges, such as a liability dispute, hiring a lawyer can improve your chances of success. Finally, an attorney can make sure that you and your family have everything you need, such as connections to top-quality doctors.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle in San Antonio, TX
Personal injury law is a broad practice area that encompasses dozens of different accident and injury types. You might have grounds to file a lawsuit against a person, company, or another entity after any type of accident that gives you or a loved one a serious injury. Speak to the personal injury lawyers at our San Antonio law firm to find out if you have the elements of a claim. If so, we may be able to help you and your loved ones seek fair compensation from the at-fault party. Our San Antonio Trial Lawyers handle cases pertaining to all areas of personal injury. Our practice areas include:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Commercial truck and bus accidents
- Drunk or distracted driving accidents
- Company vehicle accidents
- Other motor vehicle accidents
- Work injury or illness
- Hospital negligence and medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Dog bites/animal attacks
- Premises liability and slip and fall accidents
- Food poisoning
- Product liability
- Vape and e-cigarette injuries
- Maritime accidents
- Sexual assault
- Wrongful death
These are all claims we accept at Hill Law Firm. We take other types of cases as well. Our experienced San Antonio car accident lawyers have experience assisting clients with claims involving fractures, muscle strains, lacerations, burns, head and skull injuries, traumatic brain injuries, spine and back injuries, and other catastrophic injuries. Do not assume you do not have a claim until you have spoken to an experienced attorney. We can assess your case during a free case review when you call today at (210) 960-3939.
How Can a San Antonio Personal Injury Attorney Help My Case?
Many clients make the mistake of thinking they can handle their injury claims alone, without assistance from accident attorneys. Unfortunately, this leads to minimal payouts or no payments at all for their serious injuries. Insurance companies do not always treat clients fairly. They may use bad faith tactics to save money. When you have to go up against an insurance corporation or powerful defendant in San Antonio in pursuit of justice, hire an attorney to make the process easier. Your legal team can gather evidence and handle negotiations and an injury trial for you while you concentrate on recovering. It is our goal to make the legal process as smooth as possible for you and hold all responsible parties accountable for their actions.
What Is Negligence?
Negligence is the basis for most personal injury lawsuits in San Antonio. The legal doctrine of negligence means the failure to use an appropriate amount of care for a situation, such as a driver failing to pay attention to the road. When an injury arises from negligence, the at-fault party may be financially responsible, or liable, for related losses. It is up to the injured party to prove the defendant’s negligence. This generally requires evidence of four key elements:
- A duty of care was owed. A duty of care is an expectation placed on the defendant to exercise reasonable care based on the circumstances.
- A duty of care was breached. The defendant did not fulfill his or her responsibility of reasonable care. A breach of duty can refer to an action or the failure to act.
- The defendant’s breach of duty caused the injury. There must be evidence that the victim’s injury would not have occurred were it not for the defendant’s violation of the duty of care.
- Damages (losses) suffered. The plaintiff (or plaintiff’s attorney) must show evidence of losses. Without compensable damages, the plaintiff will be unable to file a claim against the defendant.
The burden of proof is to establish these elements as more likely to be true than untrue using clear and convincing evidence. Note that the elements of a case will change if the case is not based on the doctrine of negligence. Invoking the doctrine of strict liability, for example, means proving negligence is not a requirement to hold someone liable.
What is the Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Claim in Texas?
Do not delay in contacting an attorney and starting your personal injury claim. The courts in Texas have strict filing deadlines called statutes of limitations. If you miss your time limit, the defendant can file a motion to dismiss your claim. In general, you will have no longer than two years from the date of your accident or injury to file a civil claim under Texas law. The clock will start counting down either on the date of your accident or the date of injury discovery.
Types of Damages You Can Recover In a Personal Injury Case
Personal injury claim damages can refer to both the losses you suffered due to the defendant as well as the compensation available. Damages are an important part of your case. The damages available in your claim will depend on the factors unique to your case. Claim values in San Antonio can vary drastically according to the losses involved.
- Existing medical expenses
- Future medical treatments and health care needs (e.g. physical therapy)
- Lost income and capacity to earn a living
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress/mental anguish
- Property damages
- Lost quality of life
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death damages
You may be eligible to recover both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages refer to the financial losses connected to your accident, such as out-of-pocket costs. Non-economic damages are personal losses from the accident, such as physical pain and psychological suffering. A San Antonio personal injury attorney will do everything possible to maximize the damages you recover for your personal injury claim.
Dealing With Insurance Companies
A big part of your personal injury claim will be dealing with insurance companies. In most cases, it will be an insurance company handling your claim and offering compensation for your damages, not an individual. Insurance companies are well-versed in how to avoid paying claimants. They are self-interested and wish to profit their investors more than help injured accident victims. It is important to be careful when dealing with insurance companies and their claims adjusters.
In general, the trial lawyers at our personal injury law firm recommend clients do not talk to insurance claims adjusters. These are hired professionals with one main goal: to save the insurance company money. Insurance adjusters will achieve this goal through any means – including insurance bad faith. Bad faith means the insurance provider is not treating your claim honestly or fairly. Hire attorney Justin Hill to negotiate with claims adjusters on your behalf. Justin Hill has years of experience going up against insurance companies and their agents.
When Can I Expect a Settlement Check?
If your lawyer succeeds in achieving a settlement with an insurance company, you can expect a settlement check within about five to six weeks, on average. It could take longer, however, if you have a complicated claim or if the insurance company is intentionally delaying payout. Your lawyer can give you a more accurate timeline depending on the facts of your case. If the delay is a type of insurance bad faith, you may have grounds for an additional claim against the insurer.
What to Do After Being Injured in an Accident
There are several steps that you can take as the injured victim of an accident to lay the groundwork for a stronger personal injury lawsuit. Although these steps are not required, they can help you build a claim to financial compensation and protect your rights and best interests. Take the following steps after being injured in an accident in Texas:
- Do not apologize or admit fault for the accident. Even if you think you are to blame, the other party may share fault.
- Call 911 or report the accident to other authorities, such as a store manager after a slip and fall accident. Request an accident report.
- Exchange information with the other parties involved. Write down the names and phone numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Take pictures. Photographs and videos of the scene are evidence you could use to build your injury claim.
- Get medical care. If you are injured, go to a doctor immediately for professional medical care.
- Contact an insurance company. Contact the insurance provider of the party you believe caused your accident to file an initial claim.
- Cooperate with the investigation. Give any information and evidence requested by the insurance company.
- Do not sign anything. Do not accept an early settlement, give a recorded statement or sign any release forms from the insurance company.
- Gather documentation. Get all the information, evidence, and documentation that you can to support your accident claim. This includes copies of your medical records and police reports.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer in San Antonio. Before you settle your personal injury claim, consult with an attorney for more information about your case and legal rights.
An experienced injury attorney can help you with all of the steps that must be taken to protect your physical and emotional well-being after an accident. Your lawyer can give you information and advice that you can trust. No matter what stage of the process you are in, our lawyers can help.
Contact a San Antonio Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have suffered a personal injury in San Antonio, do not hesitate to contact Hill Law Firm for assistance in filing a personal injury claim. Two years to file personal injury lawsuits may seem like a long statute of limitations, but it can move quickly. It can also hurt your claim to wait too long to file a cause of action, even if you are within your time limit. Waiting too long could lead to issues such as losing important evidence that supports your case.
Call our San Antonio law offices at (210) 960-3939 or fill out our contact form as soon as possible after a serious accident to schedule your free case consultation with one of our San Antonio personal injury lawyers. Get the legal representation you deserve. A quick settlement offer with an insurance company is not enough for your financial recovery. We fight for maximum compensation.
We serve injury victims all over TX, including Austin, McAllen, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, and more.
“I have been more and more impressed with Hill Law firm and Justin Hill with every interaction.
I have consulted with them multiple times and on a variety of matters including business and personal. They are prompt to return calls, respond to messages and provide professional, excellently researched insight. Regardless of what your legal needs, I would recommend them completely and trust them wholeheartedly. They will always be my go-to law firm for representation in any matter.” – Millie