The higher the stakes are, the more valuable a personal injury lawyer becomes. If you were involved in a minor accident and did not suffer serious injuries, it may be possible to represent yourself. However, If you were involved in a more serious accident or settlement negotiations with the insurance company, it may be worth it to hire a personal injury lawyer. Some cases may even require representation by a qualified personal injury attorney.
By hiring a personal injury lawyer, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Most personal injury lawyers offer all potential clients a free, no-obligation consultation. During this time, an attorney provides you a realistic assessment of your legal options and tells you whether or not they recommend legal representation. Hiring a personal injury attorney gives you the best chance for a successful trial and settlement that truly covers your damages. You should never file a personal injury lawsuit without a lawyer.
Managing Your Own Case
If you are still not convinced in hiring a personal injury attorney, it is possible to handle a claim on your own. The important part is understanding all the facts and things to avoid. At any time during your preparation, if you are still unsure about what to do or how to handle a claim, you may consider contacting an attorney as soon as possible. However, certain cases lend themselves to self-representation. If you are interested in self-representation or are not interested in paying for a professional, here are a few situations when you may be able to handle without an attorney.
- You suffered minor injuries
- You live in a no-fault state
- You are already receiving the maximum compensation
- You are confident in your ability to negotiate
If you are in a car accident and suffer minor injuries, it can be wise to manage your own case. It will be mostly straightforward in court, so it saves you the hassle of hiring an attorney, and a few dollars as well.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer does everything for your case if you hire one, so it is well worth what you pay. They provide services before, during, and after trial to ensure you have the most successful case. Some of their responsibilities are as follows.
- Understands the law – Personal injury laws vary by state, and the average person typically does not know the full extent of these laws. An attorney has the education, training, and experience that help them to have a clear understanding of the laws.
- Assists with supporting evidence – Most personal injury cases are not simply cut and dry. Hiring an attorney can make them slightly easier. They can work with the local authorities, eyewitnesses, reconstructionists, and other legal experts to gather evidence that can prove your case against responsible parties.
- Helps with complex cases – Personal injury cases can be the most complex. They often require a lot of back and forth with evidence and negotiations. While you’re still trying to recover, an attorney can handle this for you instead.
- Negotiates – Often a personal injury case can be settled outside of court, which is beneficial for everyone. However, this requires the negotiation of a settlement. Personal injury attorneys are expert negotiators using the laws, evidence, and proof of your losses, to ensure you’re offered a fair amount.
- Courtroom representation – The courtroom can be highly intimidating for first-timers. Though you may represent yourself, the complexities of the case and the aggressiveness of the other party may be more than you expect. An attorney is trained at speaking in front of large audiences, talking to the judge, questioning witnesses, and dealing with other attorneys on the case.
- Higher settlement amounts – It’s a simple known fact that personal injury attorneys are able to help you make a higher settlement than if you were to represent yourself.
Although you may want to weight some of the benefits yourself, hiring a San Antonio injury lawyer is always recommended.