If you or a loved one was hit by a car while walking or jogging in Kerrville, Texas, you may be entitled to financial compensation from the at-fault driver. At The Hill Law Firm, our Kerrville pedestrian accident lawyers are passionate about bringing careless and reckless drivers to justice when they injure pedestrians – the most vulnerable road users. We can help if you have suffered multiple traumatic injuries in this type of accident. Contact us today for a free case consultation with an attorney.
Kerrville Pedestrian Accident Resources
To immediately access the resources at any point on this page, click the corresponding links below.
Why Choose Our Law Firm?
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Why Hire a Kerrville Attorney?
Potential Damages After a Pedestrian Accident
What To Do If Struck By a Car
Why Hire The Hill Law Firm After a Kerrville Pedestrian Accident?
- We have years of experience handling personal injury cases in Kerrville and throughout Texas. Our Kerrville car accident lawyers know how to protect the rights of injured pedestrians.
- Our lawyers care about their clients. We do not pass cases off to paralegals or assistants; you will receive the full attention of your pedestrian accident lawyer from start to settlement.
- Our personal injury attorneys have collected millions of dollars on behalf of clients. This includes a $155,000 settlement for a pedestrian struck by a vehicle in a parking lot.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis on all pedestrian accident cases. This means you will pay us $0 in attorney’s fees unless we secure financial compensation for your case.
Common Causes of Kerrville Pedestrian Accidents
The primary cause of pedestrian accidents is driver error in Kerrville. Driver negligence, or the failure to operate a motor vehicle with the proper amount of care, increases the odds of vehicle and pedestrian traffic intersecting. Violating traffic laws and failing to yield to pedestrians are common issues that result in pedestrian collisions. Vehicle drivers are also frequently engaged in distractions, such as cell phone use, and do not pay enough attention to pedestrian traffic.
Pedestrian accidents in Texas can often be traced back to the following causes:
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Driving while intoxicated
- Drowsy driving
- Reckless driving
- Ignoring traffic signs and signals
- Making illegal or improper turns
- Failing to yield at crosswalks
- Ignoring pedestrian rights-of-way
- Backing up without looking
- Rolling through stop signs
- Running red lights
- Wrong-way driving
Drivers have a legal responsibility to understand and obey pedestrian right-of-way laws in Texas. At any crosswalk or unmarked intersection, pedestrians have the right-of-way to cross. At a signalized intersection, however, pedestrians must wait for the walk signal to proceed. Even if a pedestrian is unlawfully crossing the road, drivers must take caution to avoid hitting the pedestrian.
What Injuries Can a Pedestrian Accident Cause?
Unlike a car accident in Kerrville, involving two motor vehicles, a pedestrian does not have a metal shell, seat belt or airbag protecting him or her from injuries in a collision. When a pedestrian gets hit by a motor vehicle, the car directly strikes the victim’s body. In addition to the initial impact with a vehicle, the pedestrian may also hit the pavement or a fixed object.
Pedestrian-vehicle collisions can result in many significant and life-changing injuries, such as:
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures
- Crush injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Lacerations and road rash
- Losses of limbs
- Neck injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Soft-tissue and joint injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Wrongful death claim
The medical care required to treat a serious injury from a pedestrian accident could cost the victim hundreds of thousands of dollars. If a victim suffers a long-term or permanent disability, these costs can grow exponentially due to future estimated health care. Victims with disabilities may need ongoing therapies or rehabilitation, live-in nursing aides, and home or vehicle modifications.
Why Hire a Kerrville Pedestrian Accident Attorney?
If you get hit by a car in Kerrville, your claim will be brought against the driver’s automobile insurance provider. It is important to realize that the insurance company will not want you to maximize your settlement. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses; they often resort to various tactics to minimize a client’s payout. An attorney can take over settlement negotiations with an insurance claims adjuster on your behalf to fight for optimal results.
While you rest and focus on healing from your pedestrian accident injuries, you can trust your attorney to investigate, determine the cause of the crash and collect evidence of negligence. Accident investigation may involve interviewing witnesses, reviewing your police report and hiring experts. Then, a lawyer can aggressively negotiate for a fair insurance settlement or take your pedestrian accident case to trial in Kerr County, if necessary.
Potential Damages After a Kerrville Pedestrian Accident
The purpose of a personal injury claim is to make an injured accident victim whole again by providing a financial recovery, paid for by the at-fault person or party (or, in most cases, their insurance provider). Pedestrian accident claims can result in both economic and noneconomic damages, or financial compensation, for the victim’s losses.
You may be eligible for the following damages:
- Hospital bills
- Future foreseeable health care costs
- Out-of-pocket costs, such as travel
- Lost wages and future capacity to earn
- Disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional distress
If a loved one tragically passed away from his or her injuries in a Kerrville pedestrian accident, your family may be eligible for wrongful death damages, as well. This could include the costs of a funeral or burial. Discuss the potential value of your claim with one of our attorneys to learn more.
What to Do if You’re Struck by a Car
It is important to try to remember that you need to take certain steps after a pedestrian accident to protect your legal rights. Ten things you should do are:
- Stay calm and do not admit fault.
- Check yourself for injuries.
- Get immediate medical care.
- Call 911 to report the pedestrian accident.
- Exchange information with the driver who hit you.
- Take photographs at the scene.
- Obtain a copy of the police report.
- File a claim with the driver’s insurance provider.
- Do not accept a fast insurance settlement.
- Contact a Kerrville pedestrian accident lawyer for advice.
Being struck by a car as a pedestrian in Kerrville is a frightening and overwhelming experience. Our lawyers will guide you through each step of the recovery process.
Contact Our Experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Kerrville Today
Legal help is available after a pedestrian accident in Kerrville at The Hill Law Firm. During a free case consultation, we will listen to your story and offer tailored advice for your unique situation. Our pedestrian accident lawyers are committed to seeking justice for injured pedestrians. Call (210) 960-3939 today.